Followers

Blog Archive

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Covet ???


I joke with Suzanne sometimes about the things I covet and most of them have to do with a new house ... More space, bigger kitchen, cuter furniture, screened in porch w/ a fire place, back yard with no freeway, etc ... The funny thing is the desire leaves me as soon as I say it ... I also have my list of things I would buy, donate, and do if I ever won the Lottery (which I have never played) ... It is all a goofy little game of desiring THINGS ... I guess the beauty is now I can easily push those thoughts aside and think of all the blessings God has given me and all that I have been INSTRUCTED to do ... All the orphans I have been called to SPEAK UP FOR !!!... So in all actuality, I am not sure if the money was there I would do any of those things ... Now go back about 10 years and I would have spent every penny on myself, my family and a new home ... It is amazing how God can get a hold of you if you will just let him ... HE has me ... ALL of ME !!! Don't get me wrong, because on the hard days, I choose not to turn to Him to right away ... I throw a fit just like my kids do (and I am pretty good at it) ... Not even sure why I am doing this post, except that we were home all day and I watched the kids build forts, ding my walls, spill gatorade all over my floor, miss the toilet, dump every thing I have organized on the floor, jump on furniture, wrestle, and just wallow (Webster says "To roll about, flounder, clumsily, and lie around as for refreshment) all over the place ... NOW, if I had a big fancy POTTERY BARN house, would I have let them do that ??? Who knows ... guess I don't have to worry about finding out though ... lol ... Again, totally rambling on this post, but just a bit giddy at a relaxing day at home w/ the kids and my DIET COKE ... HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR DAY ...

147millionorphans.com

19 kind words.:

Deena said...

Oh do I agree! As I type this comment, I am staring at a huge "fort" made out of six blankets and all of the pillows from the first floor of my house :) Good times!
-and I am sure there was some "missing the toilet" going on somewhere in my house today!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and once again, thanks for keeping it real!

Tiffany said...

Wow. Needed to read that tonight. Funny how God provides such a contentment with our lives when we let him, yet one comment cant send me to the moon. I know in my head that the perfect home will not bring me contentment - just misery. I often pray for the ability to just really see what is here and now - blessings and goodness that just cant be found in the Pottery Barn catalog! Thanks for the reminder of the joy in forts and indoor tag!

Kim said...

I LOVE this post.. it is the REAL deal.. Love kids running around.. I have a house full of Senior football players in the house every weekend.. and Love every second of it..
I am going to miss this sooo much..
Have a great weekend..
Love the new look..

Renee said...

Amen! I try to remind myself of this when I pick up the couch cushions for the eleventy-millionth time, or remind people about "being a sweetie and wiping the seatie". We've got what matters. I am not going to look back at my life and wish I had decked my house out more instead of sponsoring a compassion child, or adopting my Isaiah. But, it *is* a fight for me, battling greed and envy.

We Are Family said...

I have said those same words to my friend. YES, I would love to have all of that "stuff" and a new car (passenger van lol) But when it comes down to it. I want my kids more! I want to advocate more for the orphan and widow. I want to spend my "vacations" on the mission field.....I want what God wants for my life. That was not the case 5 or 6 years ago. God is good and I am so glad I let Him "mess up" my plans for this life. Glory to Lord for He is GOOD!

Connie J said...

Gwen, I had that same kind of day...and I love it! And I love what you said about your material desires going away as soon as you speak them. I totally get that! And yes, 10 years ago it would have been different for me too! Seems we could sure use some more space here...but instead we're bringing home another Treasure, praise the Lord!!

Stacy said...

Isn't it amazing when we start getting just a glimpse of God's perspective! Funny you mentioned the word "wallow"...I know I've used that word numerous times this past week...usually right after I have just picked the sofa cushions up off of the floor and neatly placed them in their corners!!! Although, I believe the version of the word I used is "waller" Ha! I've been meaning to ask you if you've found out anything about Joseph's hearing? Our Jackson has bilateral microtia. Enjoy your DIET COKE...I'm trying to break my $1 Sweet Tea habit along with a REAL COKE habit and go back to DIET! Pray for my kids!

Heather said...

Gwen, I giggle as I read your post 'cause the Lord was reminding me that what He spoke to me yesterday was definitely from Him! I was feeling depressed yesterday 'cause I can't keep my house clean and "these kids don't help!" :) :) I was coveting a clean house with no clutter!? How ridiculous is that!?!? Gotta run..the kids are playing together upstairs and I have limited time to finish this yummy coffee - - that is DEFINITELY something to be grateful about! Heather

Jodi said...

I love when people ask where we are going to "put" more kids! On our laps, I guess!
Just because our kitchen table only seats 6 - is that what governs our family size? (and a larger table probably wont fit) - or because we only have seating for 6 in our family room - is there no room for anymore? We do have laps!!!
If this was the case we wouldn't have Jorja in our family - and that I can not even imagine!

Kim said...

Precious post. Love how you always keep it real. And the new blog design is FABULOUS!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

**Heidi** said...

Gwen, first of all...your new blog layout is sooo fantabulous! Second, I am a bio mom of three, foster mom and I run a day care out of my home. There are days I very much covet a cleaner and more organized home. Then, in that moment, I am reminded by one little smile from any one of the many children that pass through my doors...that I will take the clutter for the smiles in one second!

Amy Murphy said...

Thanks for this post! I need to be reminded sometimes that I don't need to keep my house perfect all the time, and I just need to let my little boy play!

Just Julia said...

Love this post love your family!

Shirley said...

I thought that I was the only one who talked about "wallowing". Of course, I do my fair share in my little pitiful sorrows of desire for the latest new thing at times. But it is so much better to have my daughter and the dogs wallowing the pillows all off the couch than some new fangled gadget that will soon gather dust. Thank you for the reminder on a holiday weekend when my mind is wandering to want what I don't need. As a single parent, I look forward to adding to our family again in adoption as soon as the Lord opens some doors. Adoption is just simply the best.
Blessings

Andrea said...

Totally agree!! I enjoyed the way you put it.
As we save, fundraise and come close to begging to fund our adoption, I look around and see many of the things I would do to our house or buy for us that would have had lots of pull on me, several years ago. Now I calculate the need to go out to eat or to the movies let alone buying something just to update. This summer was supposed to be the "big" landscaping summer and well we made one small bed with some bulbs given by a friend. Oh well the yard will still be naked for a while, but our house and hearts are overflowing!!!!

Jenn B. said...

Gwen,
You always have just the right words that I need to hear at just the right time! I made a notecard of your statement, "It's amazing how God will just get a hold of you if you will just let him" and hung it on a wall that I pass by a million times a day to remind myself to rest in Him! Thank you so much!

Over Caffeinated Mama said...

love the new blog look.... I AM gonna see you before I leave!

Mrs. McGoo said...

loving the spread you and your partner and crime have - adorable! :)

Carla said...

Love your post. I can completely relate to this. I almost wish God didn't open my eyes to this. Such a huge burden has been put on my (sinful,) heart now that I know. I can only imagine the pain on God's heart for them, and also for most of the western/rich world who is completely oblivious to it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 photo head-coaches-button_zpsa6a1cedd.png
 photo jeremiah-button_zps64bab85f.png
 photo elijah-button_zps3108b689.png
 photo emily-button_zps563e1f0b.png
 photo maggie_zps2c847fb3.png
 photo joseph-button_zps0b7cc70e.png
 photo daisy-button_zpsa87426bc.png