Followers

Blog Archive

Sunday, July 20, 2008

CRAZY, BARBARIAN, LOONEY, WACKY ... JOIN ME WON'T YOU ...

As I sat in church today, I pondered the thought "AM I CRAZY?" (some of you out there might say yes, but humor me here ...lol) ... I feel like people look at my life and think I am, especially when they hear we are praying about going to Ethiopia and we are a one income teacher salary ... Today when the pastor talked about the church in Acts, the example was that the people brought all they had together and shared ... They were a community...No one better or w/ more than the other ... If there was a need they met it, they broke bread together, they fellowshipped together, and they worshiped together ... ALL THE TIME ...

So my thought was, don't we all need to be a little crazy, barbaric, looney, and wacky to ignore what the world says is important and real and follow the example of Christ ... I don't feel crazy, but perhaps to others I am because I don't worry about how we will pay for another adoption, I don't worry about paying for college, I don't worry about fitting in, I don't worry about having enough time for each of my children, I don't worry about how 6 kids will destroy my house and make my food bill astronomical ... I JUST DON'T WORRY .... I always think to myself when I stand before the FATHER one day, what would my excuse be for not adopting again MONEY, TIME, RESOURCES, or SELFISHNESS and it just confirms to me that I am on the right track praying for my angels in Ethiopia, for supporting and encouraging anyone who comes along and ask about adoption, or for writing THE BOOK. I have many faults and fail on a daily basis, but this is one area I feel God's calling clear and I want to answer and hear Him say to me one day, "WELL DONE THY GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT."

One of my purposes here on earth is to share what God has done in my life through adoption, how it has changed my family, made my marriage stronger, made my kids live outside the box, and given me a heart for all the orphans of the world ...

SO JOIN ME IN BEING CRAZY WON'T YOU !!!!!

"A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows,
Is God in His holy habitation.
God sets the solitary in families;
He brings out those who are bound into prosperity."
Psalm 68:5-6

31 kind words.:

Unknown said...

Yes, we have to be a bit crazy, don't we?!
We have some situations through our own business that is out of control, money wise. Not caused by our mistakes but the mistake of others. There is NO WORLDLY way it can be fixed. But, I'm not worried. (ok, some moments of worry sneak up) but overall..... God's got our back!
People look at us weird because we are still smiling!!!!!!

Praise God the we can be CRAZY!!!!

Kim said...

I will join in with you..
We dont' have tons of money and sometimes I wonder how we are going to do things.. but it always seems to work out...
U are amazing. and anyone who says you are crazy... they better go take a look in the mirror...
Hugs to you..
Keep it coming..
You truly inspire me..
Have a Great Week..

~verna said...

Amen, sista!! Crazy yes!! In God's will, yes!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Unknown said...

YOu rock and I am ready to be something crazy! I am studying the biblica church right now and what community is supposed to be about. If you only knew what was in my head..

crazy

emily said...

Sister you know that I am in!! I couldn't do this without my Thelma and Louise joining me on the nutty ride!

Yours truly, Gertie. :)

Really, really good post by the way!

Anonymous said...

Been crazy for some time now, but, ready to do overtime with you:)

April said...

Your were right Gwen, we are right there with you..We stepped out in a leap of faith and said "Wherever you lead us Lord we will follow" and let go of all the excuses that could keep us from doing his will for our lives, but in the end He has always provided a way for us, so I totally get it and standing right beside you!!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I would agree that the crazy factor can sometime be a bit high in our household. Thanks for being real. Thanks for putting it ALL out there. God bless you for having such a kind and generous heart.

Busy Mama said...

SO TRUE - and we're all right there with ya! LOONEY - but LOVIN' IT!!!!

Kelly said...

I love the way you put things. Your insight is so "easy read." I love that about you, and well--you know I am crazy :o)

polkadot said...

we've leapt twice and we're considering ethiopia as well, I've been looking over agencies all morning. One income as well... it's a crazy life.

Nikki said...

Yes, yes, yes!
Amen, amen, and amen!!!!!

You know that this crazy lunatic loves you and is in TOTAL agreement with you!
Let's please our father in heaven and not worry about what other people think...
XOXO

day by day said...

Oh yes, Gwen! Sometimes we do have to appear a bit crazy and if stepping out in our faith makes us look crazy...so be it! I also long to hear the words, "Well done!"

Great post!
Have a wonderful week, Gwen!

Kristi J said...

Amen Sister Friend!!! It's good to be crazy!! I love the crazy passion I feel for my daughter in Africa that might not even be born yet...And..I never worry..it gives you wrinkles...So...you can always count on Kelly and me to be worry free with you. Great post, Kristi

Much Ado said...

Amen! And Yes, I join with you in being crazy! My husband and I have different nationalities, we are missionaries in yet another country and we are adopting from China and also looking to adopt again from somewhere else......crazy? yes! but we wouldn't have it any other way!

I was reminded of 1 Cor 4 v 10 - we are "fools for Christ". Thanks so much for this post, it warmed my heart so much.

Lauren said...

You're right! It's all about the proper perspective -- an eternal perspective.

Terry said...

Add another crazy sista to the list! Crazy and lovin' it! :)

Michelle R Photography said...

If crazy = a woman who has her priorities straight and is listening to God's calling, then you are one CRAZY woman!!! I aspire to be even more crazy than I am today!

BTW, I read "Same Kind of Different As Me." I finished it at about 2:00 a.m. a couple nights ago because I couldn't put it down. I think I lost about 5 lbs. in tears (OK, I wish!) Thanks for the great book recommendation.

jennifer said...

I think I'm there!! My family and friends would agree!!

Nancy said...

I have been getting looks and comments that I am crazy for years. I am willing to go outside of the box with you, and continue to get the glares and looks:)

Steffie B. said...

you already know that I'm looney....that's why we get along so great! ;)
Hugs.....still waiting to hear from India.

Heather said...

Gwen - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post. You pegged it - I am crazy right beside you!!! I sooo needed this this week - thank you so much for putting it all back in place for me...worry had not crept in but self doubt had. Bless you dear friend and Thank Jesus for sending me here that I might be reminded of what it's all about anyway.

I'm off to stalk a friend's adoption blog and see if they have their precious daughter yet.

God is so good.
And Gwen, I can almost guarantee when you arrive at the feet of your Maker, itis those words that will be spoken.

Love you girl!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Yep!! Crazy for children, crazy to follow what God placed on our hearts.

Gwen, google u tube and put in the title space:
Adoption is greater than the Universe John Piper

let me know what you think of it...

Unknown said...

Love this blog. I'm with ya. I'm a crazy person too. What's the point in worrying? Again, thanks for the invite to the pool. It was great getting to know everyone. And I'm not sure "hot" was the word for me in that picture. You are the one who works out. I need to. Ha!

Melinda said...

Love it Gwen, I am totally with you. If this is crazy, then there is no better place to be. I love studying Acts and what the early churched look like. So amazing to see God's people truly looking out for the things that matter most to Him. I would love to see more church's and Christians doing the same thing. What a wonderful world this would be!

Wife of the Pres. said...

I AM THERE! Count me in. I really do think a lot of people think I am CRAZY, but you know what, I don't care! I mean I do, but sometimes I am shocked when I pour out my heart for the orphan and still even the powers that be in the church just look at me blankly and have no response. What gives?

BTW, I have lost your email address and I would really LOVE to talk to you. I don't know if you even remember me, but Dori had introduced me to your blog and we chatted back and forth a couple of times. Since then, we have found our daughter. She is beautiful and we are waiting to go and bring her home. Day 72 for LOA, not that I am counting. LOL! No really it isn't funny anymore. And that brings me to a new level of CRAZY!!!

I know God has called me to advocate for orphans and crazy but true I am an editor, so I don't know but maybe I can do something for the book? I would love to just read it. If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Also, one last thing, our little girl is in the hospital in China. You can read about it over on our website, particularly on July 9 and 10 posts. I would sure appreciate your prayers.

I know I am rambling, but I just had to post and share a bit. An email would be better I guess. OK, thanks for your honesty and REAL-NESS.
Leslie
leslie_irwin@yahoo.com
www.youbelong.net/theirwins

Jewels of My Heart said...

Amen!
You are not crazy my dear friend.... you just "GET IT!"
God's Speed
love,
Daleea

Denise C said...

Oh Gwen I love this! Amen and Amen! Your heart....oh my...I am so blessed by you!
You truly "Get it"! You truly get what this life is all about!
I hope I am nearby when you hear those words from our heavenly Father...because I KNOW there will be shouting and singing! Absolutely NO DOUBT, my sweet friend!
Love you tons and tons!

Laurel said...

When I had my first 3 kids in 2 1/2 years, I was told I was crazy.

When I had 5 kids under 4 years old, I was "certifiably crazy".

With 6 kids in 6 years ... no one even tried to define what kind of crazy.

Now ... 18 years later ... with 13 children (10 at home) ... I'm still crazy, and don't have any plans otherwise.

Glad there are other mothers in the "Crazy Club".

Blessings,

Laurel :)

Erica said...

I've been a bit bad at catching up on my blogs. I love your new look! I think I need your friend to make me a siggie! ;)

Okay so wow. WOW WOW WOW on your post. I'm so excited to see what God has for your family. I don't think your crazy. I know people think we're nuts. We want to go to Ethiopia again. We're not sure in what capacity but going there has changed our lives. Bringing our sweet son home has changed our lives.

I think sometimes God uses these things to shake up our lives a bit, we need to live outside the box. David and I have talked many a times about the new testament church and how we aren't nearly as "hands on" as we think Christ called us to be.

Okay, I'll stop. Now that I've left you a novel. Lets talk soon.

Patricia said...

I just found your site & am INSPIRED!!!!! If you're crazy, I'm right there with ya!! Bless you!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 photo head-coaches-button_zpsa6a1cedd.png
 photo jeremiah-button_zps64bab85f.png
 photo elijah-button_zps3108b689.png
 photo emily-button_zps563e1f0b.png
 photo maggie_zps2c847fb3.png
 photo joseph-button_zps0b7cc70e.png
 photo daisy-button_zpsa87426bc.png