Followers

Blog Archive

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Time Out!!


I remember when Jeremiah was 3 years old and Scott and I decided that going out to eat was just not fun nor worth the effort with a wild and crazy 3 year old. I have just hit that point with Elijah and Emily. We tried Target yesterday and I don't know if I have ever been so embarrassed in my life as a mom. I do have to say that I think it was a man who created those buggies with the seating that causes your kids to face each other, not to mention that they are a beast to push. So I blame him a little for the incident. Any way back to the story, after asking repeatedly for them to stop touching each other, please say kind words, and stop standing up in the seat .. I took their gum away they were going to purchase and they both completely had a break down. You could hear them both crying and pleading for their treat back. People were staring and then Elijah and Emily didn't help any by stomping their feet in the buggy. So we left and they cried all the way home. I placed each child in their room for an hour, for fear of what I might do if I had to look at them anymore. Then they fell asleep due to all the crying. I keep asking myself, "Where did I go wrong?" So if you were trying to figure out where all the noise was coming from yesterday, it was here in Brentwood, TN ...I remember Verna's Target story not to long ago. Must be something in the air there. On the bright side, staying at home will save me some money!!!

9 kind words.:

Nikki said...

Ah yes!
"Where did I go wrong!?" A question I find myself asking at least once a month.
I am so happy to hear that I am not alone.

Beckyb said...

You aren't doing a thing wrong - that's the joys of little ones!!! Actually - you did it all right - way to go MOM!!!! :)

Pam said...

Hannah was doing that tonight when we went to Publix. I got her a free cookie from the bakery. it of course was not the huge cookie with all of the sprinkles on it so it wasn't as good. She started a melt down. I gave Greg the cookie and started toward the bathroom with her for a talk. She stopped crying so Greg gave her the cookie. I would have thrown it away. Oh, well.

Verna said...

Yep, it's the carts and the treats. WHat's a mother to do? Just what you did. Good job, great mom! I can tell you from experience that by the time they graduate HS they no longer have melt downs in Target. They just want your credit card. ;)

Steffie B. said...

Way to stick to it.....it's amazing to me how they can actually keep the melt downs going for so long! It is enough to drive you insane somethimes! But you felt so much better when you told the whole world on your blog didn't you?!?!? lol I think we are blogger addicts! ;)

redmaryjanes said...

You didn't do anything wrong. And I have an Elijah also, mine is two and behaves the same way in Target sometimes. Kids are kids. Although, sometimes when my husband Tim and I go shopping together, if the children misbehave, I look at him and say a little loudly, "I wouldn't have agreed to come here with you if I had known your children were so out of control", and I walk away to another department. It's so funny. The first time I did it, he was just in shock. People were looking him. They don't know they are my kids too. : )

Gwen Oatsvall said...

steffie you are right. i did feel better sharing it with you all. if scott goes with us they always act better, he has a much better "you better stop" stare than i do.

Emmie said...

It can be pretty tough punishing the little ones but they do indeed have to learn. Good job! Way to stick to your guns! :)

gretchen said...

Oh have I been there! The best though, is the feeling that you got home without giving in to it! Then hopefully, they'll learn? (some faster than others!) Way to stick to it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 photo head-coaches-button_zpsa6a1cedd.png
 photo jeremiah-button_zps64bab85f.png
 photo elijah-button_zps3108b689.png
 photo emily-button_zps563e1f0b.png
 photo maggie_zps2c847fb3.png
 photo joseph-button_zps0b7cc70e.png
 photo daisy-button_zpsa87426bc.png